PruLife Essential UL Interest Rate Responsiveness
The low interest rate environment continues, so premium updates are being made to PruLife Essential UL, effective April 19, 2021. Additional changes include increases to policy-based charges.
On Monday, April 19, 2021 the revised PruLife Essential UL will be introduced, subject to state approvals.
The following rules apply to any request for New Business, Term Conversion, or OPAI (Option To Purchase Additional Insurance) Conversion.
- April 19th, 2021 (Ready to Sell Date): New Rates for the repriced product are in effect. All applications signed and dated1 on or after April 19, 2021 will receive New Rates (unless Old Rates are requested and permitted).
- April 30th, 2021 (Transition Period End Date): Last day that an application can be signed with a request for Old Rates.
- If Old Rates are desired for an application dated during the 12-day Transition Period, a written request, along with the appropriate illustration version, must be submitted on or after the state introduction date.
- Applications dated after April 30th will receive the New Rates only.
- States that approve the revised product after April 19th will have their “Ready to Sell Date” adjusted.
- May 7th, 2021 (Home Office Receipt Date): Last day that an application can be received in the Home Office with Old Rates.
- June 25th, 2021 (Placement Date): Last day that a pending case can be placed with old rates. All delivery requirements must be received in good order by end of business day (4 PM EST).
- June 25th, 2021 (1035 Exchanges): Cases involving 1035 exchange must be initiated/started by June 25th to retain old rates. If the 1035 initiation/start deadline is met, the policy will not be subject to an additional placement deadline.
REQUESTS FOR OLD RATES DURING THE TRANSITION PERIOD:
APPLICATIONS WITH PENDING OWNERSHIP ARRANGEMENTS
Any case where an updated application is expected as part of establishing a trust or finalizing the ownership arrangement must be received in good order by the home office in time for the case to be reviewed and placed by the Placement Deadline of June, 25th 2021.
Informal/Inquiry applications will not be eligible for Old Rates unless replaced by a live application by the end of the 12-day transition period based on state approval.
REQUESTS FOR NEW RATES
Requests for changes to the New Rates will be permitted consistent with the following current practice for these situations:
- Any pending case or issued policy that is not yet delivered with an application date prior to the state introduction date can be changed to New Rates, as long as the request for change is made on or after
the state introduction date.
Normal backdating rules apply, meaning that the new policy date can be backdated up to six months prior to the application date (three months in Ohio). A policy with New Rates can be dated prior to the state introduction date as long as the application meets the requirements in the TRANSITION RULES above. Please note: If the date of birth is more than 6 months prior to the state introduction date, you cannot backdate the policy to save age with a request for the new product version.