Effective February 3, 2017, MetLife will sunset the following products:
- Promise Whole Life
- Promise Whole Life 120
- Promise Whole Life Select 10
- Promise Whole Life Select 20
- Promise Whole Life Select 65
- Guaranteed Level Term (face amounts less than $1M only)
- Secure Flex Universal Life
- Provider UL
- Legacy Advantage Survivorship Universal Life
- Equity Advantage Variable Universal Life
Key dates for this product sunset are as follows:
|February 3, 2017||Applications must be received in good order at the Home Office by this date.|
|March 3, 2017||Applications for term conversions that do NOT require underwriting must be received in good order at the Home Office by this date. The February 3, 2017 application deadline applies to term conversions that do require underwriting.|
|April 28, 2017||Issue deadline.|
|May 26, 2017||Payment deadline.|
Brighthouse Financial Life Insurance Product Portfolio Following the separation of U.S. Retail, Brighthouse Financial will make the following life insurance products available for sale. These products will not differ from their MetLife versions as of the date of separation.
- Premium Accumulator Universal Life
- Guaranteed Level Term (minimum face amount will equal $1M)
- One Year Term
Not that applications for these products can continue to be submitted after February 3, 2017. For applications submitted after this date, policies will eb issued by Brighthouse Life Insurance Company (or Brighthouse Life Insurance Company of NY). However, a Metropolitan Life Insurance Company policy will be issued for term conversions for which applications are submitted in New York on or before March 3, 2017 and underwriting is not required. Premier Accumulator Universal Life and Guaranteed Level Term will no longer be sold by MetLife as a result of the U.S. Retail Separation.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will my client become a MetLife or Brighthouse Financial policy owner?
As a result of U.S. Retail Separation, policies issued by MetLife Insurance Company USA (to be renamed Brighthouse Life Insurance Company), First MetLife Investors Insurance Company (to be renamed Brighthouse Life Insurance Company of NY), and New England Life Insurance Company (to remain New England Life Insurance Company) will transition to Brighthouse Financial. Policies issued through all other issuing companies will remain MetLife.
For policies being sold during this transition period, please refer to the following chart for additional information. Note that this chart applies to new business and term conversions that require underwriting. For term conversions that do no require underwriting, the application deadline is March 3, 2017.
|If the application is submitted in good order…||And the Issue State is…||And the Payment Date is…||The result for your client will be:|
|On or before 2/3/2017||NY||On or before 5/26/2017||
|On or before 2/3/2017||NY||Not paid by 5/26/2017||
|On or before 2/3/2017||All States Except NY||On or before 5/26/2017||
|On or before 2/3/2017||All States Except NY||Not paid by 5/26/2017||
|After 2/3/2017||All States||Any Date||
- What products will be made available for term conversions?
For term conversion applications received on or before March 3, 2017, all currently available products will still be available for term conversion.
For term conversion applications received after March 3, 2017, the permanent products available for term conversion will vary by issuing company. MetLife Insurance Company USA, New England Life Insurance Company, and First MetLife Investors Insurance Company policy owners may convert their term policies to Premier Accumulator Universal Life. All other issuing company policy owners will be offered Whole Life 2008 for term conversions.
- What is required for an application to be considered in good order?
For an application to be considered in good order the appropriate application (with all necessary forms) must be submitted to the Home Office and must be fully completed without missing responses to question.
For Express Order Tickets (EOT), please not that it is the phone interview, not the EOT, that constitutes the application.
- What happens if an application is submitted on or before February 3, 2017, but is not in good order?
An application received on or before February 3, 2017 that is not in good order will be rejected. Our Life New Business Team will contact you if this is the case. If the application is amended to be in good order by February 3, 2017, new business and underwriting processing will commence as usual.
- Will there be any exceptions to the application and payment dates?
No. There will be no exceptions to the application deadline. Likewise, there will be no exceptions to the payment deadline, even if it is not the fault of the advisor or client. For example, an exception will not be made if medical information is not received in time from a physician or if a trust has not yet been finalized.
- How will replacements with the 1035 Exchange proceeds be handled for products that will not be made available for sale by Brighthouse Financial?
For replacements with the 103 Exchange proceeds to these products, the payment deadline of May 26, 2017 still applies. If the 1035 Exchange proceeds do not arrive by the payment deadline, then out of pocket premiums will be required to place the case inforce. Should the 1035 Exchange proceeds arrive after May 26, 2017 and the policy is already inforce, your Life New Business Case Manager will work with you to reissue the policy. If the inforce policy was placed by Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, it will be reissued by Metropolitan Life Insurance Company. If the inforce policy was placed by MetLife Insurance Company USA, it will be reissued by MetLife Insurance Company USA and endorsed to Brighthouse Life Insurance Company.
- How will replacements with the 103 Exchange proceeds be handled for products that will be made available for sale by Brighthouse Financial? For replacements with 1035 Exchanges to these products, business as usual processing will continue. Please note that is a 1035 Exchange is being requested after separation, there may be a need to complete new 1035 Exchange paperwork before initiating the transaction with the replacing carrier. Your Life New Business Case Manager will contact you for support during this process.
- How will reissues be handled?
For products that will not be made available for sale by Brighthouse Financial, reissued will only result from the need to correct Home Office errors or to administer 1035 Exchanges as noted above.
For all other products, reissues will continue to be handled business as usual. Please not that if the application paperwork expires (e.g. the application is over 6 months in age) a new application will be required. Depending upon the date of the reissue, there may be a need to endorse the application and/or policy to Brighthouse Financial.
- For products that will not be offered by Brighthouse Financial, when will new business illustrations no longer be available?
New business illustrations will be available until March 3, 2017 for products that will not be offered by Brighthouse Financial. There will be no change to inforce illustration availability.
- Will underwriting guidelines be changing for Brighthouse Financial?
No, underwriting guidelines are not changing at this time.
- Will previously collected underwriting information be impacted by these changes?
No, the underwriting information gathered during the underwriting process is still valid and will not be impacted by these changes. This underwriting will continue to be subject to our published shelf life guidelines.
- What products will be made available for group conversions?
Group conversion applications will continue to be handled business as usual, regardless of submission date. Whole Life 2008 will continue to be the only product offered for group conversions.
- Are there changes for inforce Guaranteed Issue (GI) policies and plans?
New lives will no longer be accepted into existing GI plans after February 3, 2017. Additionally, face increases will no longer be offered on a GI basis (e.g. face increases will require additional underwriting).
- Will the Enhance Rate Plus (ERP) underwriting program still be available for Premier Accumulator Universal Life?
- If Premier Accumulator Universal Life is not approved at my firm, how can I get it approved?
If Premier Accumulator Universal Life is not approved at your firm, please reach out to your Wholesaler or Strategic Relationship Manager and they will work with you product review team for approval.